No sill plate? Will inspector make me add one?

Old 06-21-17, 06:47 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No sill plate? Will inspector make me add one?

I am repairing a house built in the 60s that I recently bought. I'm in Western North Carolina.
The front wall has lots of termite damage, which I feel shouldn't be too bad to do.
I'm also planning on replacing a portion of the rim joist.
But I've found out I don't have a sill plate. The joists are on a sheet of galvanized metal resting on a block foundation.
I'm wondering if in people's experience with building inspectors they would require me to add a sill plate and anchoring? I realize local jurisdictions/inspectors may vary widely, but maybe someone has had a similar experience. I plan on going to ask them officially in the next day or so, but would like to research the issue before I get there in case they do require me to add it.
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-21-17, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
That's a tough one. Generally inspectors don't make you go around and upgrade preexisting conditions that do not meet current building codes. If that was the case, every house would be in trouble.

However, when permitted remodeling is being done where you are planning on making structural changes, they often will require that upgrades be made to bring it in line with current codes.

Whether or not they will make you add the plate and anchors is anyone's guess. However one could argue that if you are only working on one wall in a limited area, it would not make sense to "fix" one wall... (and he can't make you change all the walls)... when the other walls will not be fixed in the same fashion.

If your work is being inspected, your best bet is to ask. If your work does not need to be inspected, don't ask.

Old 06-21-17, 09:32 PM
A
Hi XSleeper,
Thanks for the response. That's pretty much how I figure the situation as well.
I plan on asking, as I've already dug out half the cement porch that was sitting in front of the foundation, and I know I'll be sistering a few joists, so I expect that it will get looked at.

Old 06-22-17, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
So you obtained a permit for this work?

Old 06-22-17, 08:36 AM
A
Yes, I got a permit. Had to make it legit for a number of reasons.

Old 06-29-17, 12:44 PM
A
Just to close the loop on this.
I called the inspector and he was pretty cool about this.
He Said I didn't need to do a sill plate if there wasn't one already there for the reasons mentioned in previous replies.

Old 06-29-17, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for posting back. Were always curious how things turned out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: