Replacing floor joists - floating subfloor

Old 07-04-17, 12:49 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing floor joists - floating subfloor

Hello,

I know this situation isn't ideal, but here it is.

I want to replace my 2x6 (you read that correctly) unevenly spaced and spliced and sistered and butchered floor joists that support my ground floor. My basement is unfinished.
My question is, what types of issues could I run into if after replacing my joists, my subfloor is not attached to any of them? I currently have hardwood floors across the main floor, and don't project replacing them for at least 5 hears.

On top of replacing my joists, I would re-engineer my structural supports for the joists - I would remove the square timber beams, and replace with LVLs.

All in all, my foundation is 22' x somewhere around 42'. I would end up having somewhere along the lines of 3 LVLs that ould span the 22' (supported at center with steel posts, already existant).

My next quesiton is, do I beef up to 2x10 joists 16" OC, or should I use an engineered joist (wood i-beam)? The longest span I would have for the joists is somewhere around 10 feet (LVLs would not be placed at regular intervals, to continue bearing load of 2nd floor load points).

Thanks to the community, and yes ... I will have an engineer approve my plans before proceeding - I just want to avoid the costly architect plans.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: