How to hide the new concrete stair repair patch?

Old 07-16-17, 06:59 PM
Q
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to hide the new concrete stair repair patch?

Hello all,

This is my first project regarding the usage of concrete. I did some research and use the best products that are available to me.

Here are the product that I have used for this project:

SikaLatex 1 Gal. Concrete Bonding Adhesive and Acrylic Fortifier
Quikrete 40 lb. Vinyl Concrete Patcher

Please see the attached images for details.

Question 1> I really don't understand why people use concrete patch instead of real concrete to fix the crack in the stairs. I have watched many youtube videos for stair repairs and all of them suggest to use concrete patch. The patch has different color than that of concrete. So why not use concrete for this project? Maybe it is too late to ask this question, but I just want to know the reason.

Question 2> How to make the repair work looks professional? I saw some people do concrete resurface after a patch job. So I can use concrete paint or epoxy floor paint etc. Which is the better way for my case? I have searched homedepot.com and all concrete resurface products have very low rating. So I really don't know where to start next?

Thank you

Before:
Name:  IMG_20170715_081805.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  47.0 KB

After
Name:  IMG_20170716_191725.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  43.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-17, 02:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
How long ago did you make the repair? I'm not familiar with the vinyl patch but cement products generally lighten as they cure. I'd use a concrete stain instead of paint.

Old 07-17-17, 04:13 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I once owned a concrete house . . . . a hunting camp that was constructed entirely of concrete block and painted with a Concrete Paint, a paint which was 40% Portland Cement (if my memory serves me right).

I don't know if that kind of product is still on the market; but it did wonders at hiding repairs and alterations in the structure, and it was very wear resistant. The one limitation I recall was that it was available in a limited number of colors, and it didn't take well to tinting . . . . but it might be ideal in your application.

Old 07-17-17, 04:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I remember a block fill type coating that was mixed with portland, difficult to apply but looked good when done correctly. Never applied it to a walkway or stairs [just walls and a dome] But that was over 40 yrs ago ... be worth checking into though.

Old 07-17-17, 05:02 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
About 40 years ago places it correctly ( I owned the place from 1976 to 1990) . . . . and seem to recall buying it from Grossmans (Evans Products) which has since gone belly-up.

Old 07-17-17, 05:46 AM
Q
The repair was done A day ago. Some people suggest that I should use play sand + type I cement + adhesive to match light color.

Old 07-17-17, 06:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
I really don't understand why people use concrete patch instead of real concrete to fix the crack in the stairs. I have watched many youtube videos for stair repairs and all of them suggest to use concrete patch. The patch has different color than that of concrete. So why not use concrete for this project? Maybe it is too late to ask this question, but I just want to know the reason.
The concrete that was used to pour your stairs and sidewalk is not suitable to be used for repairs such as that... it generally does not bond well and it is not strong enough to be feathered to a tapered edge. Concrete mixes, mortar mixes, topping mixes, and vinyl patches all have different "recipes" which give them different properties.

Regarding the color, you can't hardly get concrete that is the same color if you tried. If you needed to replace one section of your sidewalk and used concrete, it would not likely match the others... the new will always stand out.

Concrete topping mixes (covering all the concrete with a new coating) is the only way you will get a consistent color that will hide your patch. Generally these are high in Portland cement, and the adhesive helps with bonding. Problem is that they sometimes don't bond pefectly... and in a matter of years they can create a whole new problem for you to deal with here and there.

Old 07-18-17, 08:43 PM
Q
Thank you for your advice.

Old 07-19-17, 09:34 AM
Q
Hello XSleeper,

Since the repair area doesn't support any weight. Can I simply use mortar mix Quikrete 60 lb. Mortar Mix-110260 - The Home Depot The color looks like light gray.

Basically, I am looking for a light gray color for the resurfacing materials.

Thank you

Old 07-19-17, 11:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I have dressed up a few repairs before mixing up some mortar to a paint like consistency and brushing it on - while it looked good when I was done I don't know how it looked or held up long term.