Replacing plank subfloor in basement

Old 08-27-17, 03:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing plank subfloor in basement

Hi all...I had a toiliet leak in my basement and have had to take up the vinyl and underlay and essentially gut the bathroom. The subfloor is 6" x 1/2" wood planks that run at 45 degree angle across the joists. The bathroom is 6 ft wide by 12 ft long. The long walls run in the same direction as the joists, meaning the walls are not anchored to the joists but are supported by the plank subfloor (I only inherited this, not build it).

The plank floor is completely uneven and flexes when you walk on it. The flooring subcontractor says he will not guarantee a squeekless install.

Normally I would cut out the plank flooring and replacing it with interlocking plywood or OSB. In this instance I see two choices but I'm hoping some of you will have a better alternative.

First, cut out the plank subfloor along the wall a few pieces at a time and insert a braces between the joists to help support the wall (I don't know if this was done previously but from the nailing pattern on the floor I'm guessing no. As I go along, I can insert braces and support the walls.

Second, leave the plank floor intact. Use a tile motar and run a coat of motar over the planks to even out the height differences. Before the motar dries, install the plywood or OSB. Run screws along the joists but not countersink. When the motor has set, I cna then countersink the screws.

I've read on here that the wall should be supported on the joists so cutting out the subfloor should not be a problem. There is nothing square or plumb about this house...I swear it was made with scrap lumber! I would that if the joists are properly braced there would be nails in the subfloor but there are none.

Photos attached.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Cheers
Phil

Attached Images   

Last edited by pcourterelle; 08-27-17 at 03:46 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-28-17, 01:51 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So this is a basement with an elevated wood floor? Whats under the floor?

Old 08-28-17, 04:52 PM
Concrete is under the raised wood floor.

Old 08-29-17, 12:24 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Any good reason the wood was added on top of the concrete?

Old 08-29-17, 12:53 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You will need to cut the planks so that they are centered on the first joist inside the room to support the wall. If you remove the at he wall, the wall will have no support, nor will the floor for that matter. Trying to get a new subfloor to slide under the wall is near impossible.

Old 08-29-17, 08:25 PM
czizzi...thanks for the advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: