Flooring on top of concrete

Old 09-24-17, 10:49 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flooring on top of concrete

We would like to put flooring on top pf what was once the concrete floor of a garage with t he expected slope. What is the best configuration for the subfloor (what size and what spacing boards, slats, etc) and what do you recommend for attaching the subfloor to the concrete? Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 09-24-17, 04:31 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I only worked on one job where we installed a subfloor over concrete. We used 3/4 plywood & attached it with heavy duty anchors. What type of wood were you considering?

Old 09-24-17, 04:44 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
with the expected slope.
I did one garage like this. Can't say if the pros will agree. I used 2x4 joists running back to front with wedges every four feet cut to compensate for slope. Use construction adhesive to fasten the wedges to the bottom of the 2x4s and the concrete. Space the 2x4s 16" apart. Use two layers of plywood on top with the second layer of plywood oriented 90° to the first layer. You will also need horizontal bracing between the studs.

Edit: Here hoses are on slabs and the front of the garage floor is about 4' lower than the house floor. I poured a concrete footer at the front of the garage to seal the opening and raise it to the level of the house slab on which the walls rested.

Wait to see if the pros disagree.

Last edited by ray2047; 09-24-17 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-24-17, 05:11 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Expected slope?
How much?
No way should subflooring be directed attached to concrete!!
What level is the home's floor in relationship to the garage?
Bigger issue is how to deal with the old overhead door and outside siding so it looks like it was never a garage.
Got some pictures of the outside?

Old 09-24-17, 10:15 PM
Bigger issue is how to deal with the old overhead door and outside siding so it looks like it was never a garage.
And bigger question is is there an HOA involved? Once was at a customers house and noticed a wood garage door that was starting to rot. Inside I saw the garage had been converted to a den. Mentioned the rotting garage door and suggest they find a brick mason to remove the faux door and put in brick to match the house.

They said they had in fact originally replaced the garage door with brick when they converted to a den but the HOA made them replace the brick with a wood garage door to meet HOA rules all house have a wood garage door in front.

Old 09-25-17, 08:53 AM
M
Thank you all for the quick and useful replies. I apologize but unfortunately I left out some important info.
(a) the half of the former garage facing the driveway was already refinished years ago; there is sheetrock and oak flooring; there is no HOA
(b) the slope of the floor in the unfinished parts is about 0.16 inch/foot or a little over 1/8in/ft
(c) the concrete area to be re-floored is about 6" lower than the floor in the already finished half (see picture of doorway); I dont know what is underneath the oak flooring in terms of supports but since it around 6" tall there could be 2x4 or 2x6 forming joists below
(d) the sheetrock comes all the way down to the floor between the finished and unfinished halves
(e) the other side of the concrete fllor terminates on what appears to be small poured foundation with maybe a wooden sill on top (see other picture).

Sorry about the lack of info and thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by Moogy; 09-25-17 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-25-17, 09:05 AM
Old 09-25-17, 09:24 AM
M
Here are the images and thanks for the help!

Attached Images   

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: