Thin cracks in basement - Worth repairing

Old 10-06-17, 06:41 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thin cracks in basement - Worth repairing

Hi, new to the forums; this site looks fantastic. I've got a new-to-me home from 1978, and have been in it a year. We have a detached garage with concrete slab floor. However, there are some cracks running the width of two bays, with a crack or two between them about 5 feet in length. The cracks are relatively thin (1/16" - maybe 1/8"), and I don't know how long they've been there. The concrete is still fairly even on either side of the crack. You can see pictures here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/C6WmWg3oJtHPyeo22

My question is, should I leave these cracks, or attempt to repair them? And if I should repair them, what technique would you recommend? For what it's worth, I'm hoping to secure some permanent wooden fixtures to the floor in the near future, so I'd like to make sure the floor is in good shape before I proceed. Thanks!

Old 10-06-17, 08:07 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Look around. See if there are any other signs of the structure shifting such as studs or rafters out of place or pulled apart. Do you have any idea if there are footings under the slab?
Edit: The text says garage but the title says basement. Which is it?

Old 10-07-17, 01:40 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
There really is no way to repair, it's not a question if but when concrete will crack that is why they put relief cuts in flat work.

If nothing is changing, or leaking it's just going to be there.

Old 10-07-17, 06:52 AM
S
Oh gosh, it's a garage... sorry for the confusion. I haven't noticed any signs of structural shifts, but I'll look around. I don't know about footings. There's been dampness on the concrete, but that's been the extent of water; I'm not sure if that constitutes as leaking. Thanks for the ideas so far.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: