Addtion floor joists? 2 x 6 or 2 x 8?

Old 10-18-17, 03:19 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Addtion floor joists? 2 x 6 or 2 x 8?

I am adding an addition onto my home. 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. The existing house is 34' x 34' the addition will be 32' x 18'. The original house has 2x6 floor joists setting on top of 4x6 beams spaced every 2 feet. My question is should I go back with 2x6 for the addition or 2x8? If I used the 2x8 I would have to notch them to keep the floor level to the home. Any advice would help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-17, 05:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 687 Votes on 634 Posts
I am not familiar with the construction method you mention. It sounds like something non-standard used when building remote cabins. What is supporting the 4x6? Do you have a foundation or footer?

What size joist usually depends on how far they must span. There are span tables that will tell you the size of floor joist you need to span a distance.

Old 10-18-17, 06:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
You definitely would not notch your 4x6's, and 2x6's can easily span 2'... so using 2x6's would be fine. The concern would be how far the 4x6's span.... how often your 4x6's are supported. Post and beam construction is common in some parts of the country... but not here either. How far apart are the posts holding the 4x6's?

And your bathroom sewer drains will all need to be dropped below the post and beams... there will be no notching or drilling allowed.