OSB Divider in Attic - Use Space Beyond?

Old 10-30-17, 08:22 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OSB Divider in Attic - Use Space Beyond?

I spy a nice bit of attic space that I badly want to use. However, there's an OSB barrier blocking me from getting to it. What are some options to make this space usable for organized storage?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-17, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
That's likely a fire barrier so it can't spread uncontrollably through the attic. Is one section of the attic over the garage or maybe over sleeping spaces?

It can be LEGALLY done if it is indeed a fire barrier, but you have to spend quite a few bucks on an approved access panel between the two.

Wait...is it open at the top of the rafters? If so, not a fire barrier. Probably just bracing and stiffening for the roof structure.

You'd have to do quite a bit of cutting, reframing, and bracing but I'm sure it could be done. Is that OSB right above a load bearing wall or spanning an open space?

It might be simpler to cut and frame an access from below the desired space.

Old 10-31-17, 01:57 AM
K
Whoops I forgot to add the YouTube link.

Yes itís open at the top, and it spans an open space with no load bearing walls or posts beneath.

https://youtu.be/718W6o5QAKk

Old 10-31-17, 04:32 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Storing things in a properly ventilated attic is about the same as storing them outside under a tarp.

Old 10-31-17, 08:27 AM
K
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
Storing things in a properly ventilated attic is about the same as storing them outside under a tarp.
If you are referring to a properly ventilated tarp, then that's exactly what I'm after.

Old 10-31-17, 09:09 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
As long as you understand that all is well. Too many people want to "store" what I consider to be worthless crap in their attic; things that should be sent to the landfill or thrift store. Then they wonder why the dress they will never again wear has mold and mildew on it. Or why bugs have eaten holes in the sweater that they never wore.

Old 10-31-17, 09:51 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Looks like someone added storage in the garage over the doors and did some bracing as Gunguy suggested. As stated, it can be done but more storage often encourages saving more, as Furd said, "worthless crap". I've gone into attics to do an inspection and climbed back down because there was soooo much stuff up there I couldn't trust the ceiling. Good intentions will soon be forgotten and it will fill to the top.

Check with your building department to see what permits are needed. It is over a garage so there are air sealing requirements.

Also, if you intend to access that space from the garage it requires a fire rated access.

Bud

Old 10-31-17, 10:04 AM
K
Thanks for the replies. I put the ceiling shelves over the garage door but the OSB is original to the house.

I'm aware of the worthless crap danger, as well as reasons that people go down that path without realizing it.

Old 11-01-17, 01:10 AM
Received 394 Votes on 368 Posts
why the dress they will never again wear has mold and mildew on it
Would think anything stored in an attic that has mold means you have some issues with the house/roof/insulation that need to be addressed.

Old 11-01-17, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It does make a good place for seasonal items though. Tubs of xmas decorations, some winter/summer clothing, etc. NOT good for keepsakes and heirlooms or items with any value (or actual weight).

Of course, it's always like a treasure hunt for the next person to live there. I found a perfectly good, working microwave that I gave to a desert rat friend of mine after his blew. A fake xmas tree that I put outside for last year and then disposed of. What appeared to be an almost complete doll crib (that I scavenged some good wood off and trashed the rest), even a bunch of lampshades that I've repurposed.

Wonder what I left at MY old place?