Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

14' wall height framing material reqm't per 2006 International Building Code

Old 12-29-17, 07:24 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My county uses the 2006 International Building Codes

We are building a 40' x 54' garage

The materials calculator we used at the home improvement store is saying 2x4 walls on 16" centers

The wall height will be 14'

I compared this plan to the above referenced building code, but I am an amateur and I'm not sure if I'm reading correctly. However, it appears to me that a load bearing wall of 14' height requires 2x6 construction per the above referenced code. Is this accurate? Or is the 2x4 given on the plan acceptable?

Also, we are zone 4 (midwest) on the energy efficiency map which looks like we need the R19 value of insulation provided by the 2x6 construction.

Any experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as everyone who sells materials only wants to direct me to an engineer. I'm just trying to do a preliminary budget to see if 2x4 or 2x6 is what we have to use so I'm not ready to consult an engineer yet.

Thank you

Old 12-29-17, 07:42 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I would call the local AHJ, they're the group you have to make happy in the end anyway.

Old 12-29-17, 08:33 AM
Welcome.
There are many factors in building a garage so it will take some research on your part to make acceptable plans.
If all you want to do is estimate the cost here's a few suggestions to make it somewhat easier:
- estimate the trusses, roof and wall sheathing and all other material that won't change whether it's 2 x 4 or 2 x 6.
- estimate the 2 x 4 walls at 16" on center and estimate the 2 x 6 walls at 24" on center.
I don't know of any reason the walls would need to be 2 x 6, but as said you need to find out for sure.

Old 12-29-17, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The footnote (a) to table 602.3.(5) says in part, "Increases in unsupported height are permitted where
justified by analysis." So basically if you want to use a 2x4 wall taller than 10', you need a structural engineer to say it's okay... in addition to the load, they take things like wind load into play, which affects walls that are not laterally retrained.

I would save myself the headache and just use 2x6 as the code mentions. As you mentioned, you need it anyway to get to R19.

Old 01-01-18, 06:43 AM
F
Thank you everyone. I appreciate the info

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: