Asbestos or not?

Old 12-31-17, 09:30 AM
Received 255 Votes on 229 Posts
Asbestos or not?

At our store we have a tiled floor that is at least 50 years or more old. It's made of both 12" and 9" tiles. Many of the 12" tiles are cracked and broken. But the floor gets a once a year wax strip and then twice year floor wax.

One of our employees (who was in the business, so he says) claims the 12" tiles are not asbestos based and can be safely taken off via scraping or torching to put new ones in. However, not the 9" tiles. He says it can be determined just by site. I'm taking his word for it, but I have mu doubts.

Can anybody verify this statement?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-17, 09:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
I have always heard (and believed) that 9" tiles are asbestos... 12" tiles are not. AFAIK, they quit producing that size about the time asbestos started to become the devil.

But since tile does not become dusty unless it is ground to a powder, it's about the safest kind of asbestos there is. The black cutback adhesive also usually contains asbestos.

And of course the official asbestos policy is that if you think it may contain asbestos you have to treat it like it is. Or get it tested to confirm. There are all sorts of regulations about signage and legal waivers and other things to protect you legally... And to fully disclose a potential hazard to anyone who might be exposed to it. Plus the paper trail of having licenced contractors do the removal and disposal. (More paperwork). Thank you big gov't for protecting us from ourselves.

Old 12-31-17, 09:51 AM
Received 255 Votes on 229 Posts
Thanks X for confirming._______________________________