Compromised floor joist?

Old 01-01-18, 05:28 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Compromised floor joist?

Hey all,

Working through our master bath Reno and I finally got to removing all the tile and underlayment. I noticed this one area behind the toilet where it looks like the plumber drilled a hole for the drain, then realized it was right on top of a floor joist and stopped, then drilled the hole correctly. Is there anything I need to do here? This was a new build back in 2009 so I'm sure it passed inspection this way. Just wanted to get opinions.

Thanks.

Attached Images   
Old 01-01-18, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The top flange should NEVER have been cut. But not much you can do at this point... it's crying over spilled milk. It's compromised and so the joists on either side need to pick up the slack.

How far does that joist span end to end... either where it sits on a wall or where or it sits in a joist hanger? And how far apart are the joists?

Old 01-01-18, 06:06 PM
The joist shouldn't have been cut but it appears to me it still has some structural integrity.
Like X said the other joists need to pick up the slack. It looks like there are probably many other joists that can do that (but answer the spacing questions)
Your joists are running left to right looking at the bottom picture and there is a wall behind the toilet and walls at the side.
A three walled small space like that Could or Might be the strongest space in your house, like in a tornado

Old 01-01-18, 06:08 PM
R
I believe It sits on a load bearing beam that is supporting an open living area below. Looks like it spans 11 feet total.

Attached Images   
Old 01-17-18, 07:26 PM
I don't know if you have enough room to get to it, but if so, there may be some hardware you could use to attach a another piece like a 2x2 on top of that (or cut one to fit with a jigsaw), and possibly brace in between there and other joists.

Something like this "Ripper Clip" could work I guess. The name sounds about right anyway.

Old 01-18-18, 08:30 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Looks like a I-beam/joist. If you can get to it from basement just sister it up, about all you are going to be able to do to repair!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: