Exposed baby to asbestos?!?- help!

Old 01-17-18, 04:22 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exposed baby to asbestos?!?- help!

Hello all,
This is my first post on this forum and I am freaking out a bit, so please excuse my ignorance! My husband and I had some peel and stick tiles in our bathroom over some very old vinyl sheet flooring. When we were pulling up the tiles, we accidentally pulled up a little of the vinyl sheeting and there was gray backing underneath it. We have a 4 month old baby in our home. I'm so worried now that we may have exposed her to asbestos! Our house qas built in the 50s so the vonyl sheet backing likely had asbestos, right? We didn't pull up much, maybe 1 or 2 square foot total and it wasn't powdery but the gray backing did separate a little from the vinyl sheet in some places. My husband picked it up and threw it out, and we covered the area the very next day. Is there anything else we should Do? I'm so worried about my daughter possibly being exposed to asbestos dust!! Any advice from people more knowledgeable than me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Old 01-17-18, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You are worried over nothing. You covered the area (assuming tape and plastic or similar) and it was not friable (dust creating/crumbling). It may not have even had asbestos, you'd need to have it tested. Problems occur with long term exposure, not a few hours.

Move on...you have plenty of other concerns ahead of you with the baby.

Old 01-17-18, 04:54 PM
Your baby is exposed to more asbestos during the car ride from home to the doctor. Asbestos is NOT a hugely toxic substance like so many late-night television advertisements for lawyers claim. Asbestos related diseases ONLY occur from long-term exposure to asbestos in the air that a person breathes. Long term is YEARS. Further, it is often only a problem then IF the person exposed is or was also a cigarette smoker.

Old 01-17-18, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If it had grey backing I doubt it is as old as you think. I agree, worried over nothing.

Old 01-18-18, 05:05 AM
D
Thank you everyone!! That is a huge relief to hear. I was probably overly paranoid... from the research I've done, I think you all are right! Just the thought of ASBESTOS kind of freaked me out too much. Thank you all again!!

Old 01-18-18, 08:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Lawyers have made a lot of products sound like the last thing we are going to see on earth.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: