Why is there an extra joist in my room?

Old 04-06-18, 01:38 PM
E
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Why is there an extra joist in my room?

At or about the middle of the room, there is an extra joist in an otherwise normal 16 oc subfloor. This joist splits that bay down the middle. I also notice there isn't a single nail through the subfloor into that joist. Looks like the boys forgot it was there. Any ideas as to why it's there?

To provide some imagery, this room is on the second floor above the living/dining room. There is an opening into the living room of about 6' and the extra joist kind of sits in that general area. The interior wall is a bearing 2x6" wall and there was a 2X6" wall in the basement as well. The design led to no posts being used as all the bearing walls in the basement were on footings. I say "were" as they are no longer there as I opened up the basement with posts and i-beams. There is a hallway outside the room and the staircase is directly opposite this room. running parallel to the room.

Anyway, looking forward to your learned opinions so I can stop guessing.

Old 04-06-18, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It's probably there because of the layout in a different room. A floorplan would probably make it clear.

Old 04-07-18, 04:31 AM
E
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
This bedroom is on one side of the house separated by a hallway from the other two bedrooms on the other side of the house. I attached a rough layout of the rooms upstairs.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: