Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

create hole in floor to allow machinery into crawl space

Old 05-28-18, 06:45 PM
Q
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

We're having some work done on the foundation and they need to get some machinery into the crawl space. They have suggested taking up the floor boards and creating a hole the length of the house.
I'm wondering the best way to fo this. They say I could leave 4" either side of the hallway in the picture below.

I was thinking remove baseboard, then remove floors, then run a circular saw on the subfloor. Underneath this hallway are the main beams supporting the house with 9"x11" joists.
Any recommendations on doing this without damaging the wood floor?
And then is a circular saw the best way to cut the hole in the sub floor?

It needs to be open roughly where the red lines are in my image...

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-18, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
I would be putting a hole in the foundation before I put a hole in the floor like that.

Old 05-28-18, 07:22 PM
Q
There's no other way for them to get in.

Old 05-28-18, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
That's unlikely..............................

Old 05-29-18, 03:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 332 Votes on 295 Posts
What kind of machine do they need to get down there? Cutting a whole that wide would also mean removing a floor joist or two

Old 05-29-18, 06:09 AM
Q
They need to get piling in and then hammer down the pilings in place so the machine needs to operate slightly higher than the piling.
Joists stay in place. The front wall is foundation and below grade, same with the back. Only way in is through the top in this case. It's a crawl space below.

Old 05-29-18, 06:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 687 Votes on 634 Posts
I have often cut open the floor to gain access to the crawl space. Often it is the easiest, fastest and cheapest method. I am surprised at the size of the hole they are considering. I would be most concerned that they have to cut or remove quite a few floor joists. That could cause some serious problems if not done properly.

The other option is to excavate a ramp outside and cut/knock a hole in the side of the foundation. It will make a mess of the yard but it will keep the construction traffic and dirt out of the house.

Old 05-29-18, 06:15 AM
Group Moderator
Foundations can be excavated, but if the machinery needs to be pounding the piling in above the plane of the floor, that would make sense.

There is no way of saving the wood floor, you will just have to plan on getting new flooring.

Old 05-29-18, 01:39 PM
Q
Piling company says all joists will stay. They will be piling in 5 locations under the house.
They cannot excavate the front since they need to put piling on the front foundation wall also.

New floors will be put in. My question is how do I make the hole?
I remove baseboard trim then
remove flooring (save any good planks, throw away those that break).
Then cut the sub floor?

Do I need to cut the sub floor in a location where new sub floor can be put back and rested on the beams under the house or is sub floor supposed to go joist to joist?

The joists under the house run left to right as in the picture. Same direction as the wood floor. Beams run the length as per red lines but not in the same place.

Old 05-29-18, 02:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 332 Votes on 295 Posts
I'm not sure it's worth trying to save the oak flooring. To try and save it you'd remove the shoe mold, maybe the baseboard and start prying them up. If you don't try and save the oak you'd just take a skil saw and cut thru the flooring and rip it out. You'd probably need to remove some of the flooring before you would know the depth [thickness] of both the oak and the subfloor. I wouldn't worry too much about the replacement plywood matching up with the joists as you can always sister onto or add joists to support the ends of the subfloor.

Old 05-29-18, 03:16 PM
W
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Remove the flooring wall to wall because that is what flooring will be replaced.

Cut the sub-flooring a few inches away from the wall. Before you replace the sub-flooring, you will need to add blocking between the joists where the old and new sub-flooring meet to have solid support under the joint. Cut the sub-flooring at the ends over a joist.

Old 05-30-18, 06:00 AM
Q
What's the best way to connect the blocking to the joist? 2" screws?

Old 05-30-18, 06:06 AM
Group Moderator
3" construction screw. T-25 torx are best. You can either toenail them inside the joist bay or just screw from the outside of the joist either straight into the end of the blocking or at a slight angle if the last piece of blocking is in the way.

Old 08-13-18, 06:28 AM
Q
A circular saw can only get to within about 6" of doors etc. due to the metal guide on the saw. What would be a good tool to do the final few inches of cutting?

Old 08-13-18, 06:31 AM
Group Moderator
A toe kick saw. Got a Harbor Freight located near you?