OSB vs Plywood over sand floor in barn

Old 06-05-18, 08:20 AM
S
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
OSB vs Plywood over sand floor in barn

Pole barn (6-7 yo) is 36x48x12high and has a sand floor which creates a lot of dust. I have placed 4x8 plywood over plastic tarps where I walk and in front of the hay storage area.

This is located in northern lower michigan.

I put down pallets over the sand to place the hay on for storage year round.

I want to put down either osb or plywood under the pallets to prevent any moisture up into the bale of hay. BC I typically get a few bales (8' long x 3' high x 3' wide...800 #'s) that have mold in the bottom portion which I believe is coming up from the sand. There is a hill immediately behind the barn and to one side of it.

Which is better, osb or plywood?

Last winter I got two baby oppossums who tunneled into the barn (haven't found where yet) and where they huddled under one bale, it was too moldy to use.

I would have concrete put in but estimate is over $5k which is tons more than I can afford. Thanks!

Old 06-05-18, 09:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Plywood will hold up better to moisture than OSB will. Might be better to get pressure treated plywood.

Old 06-05-18, 10:32 AM
S
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
UGH, has to thick, 3/4's, costly but probably right re: pressure treated.

Thank You!

Old 07-02-18, 01:20 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Did you resolve your hay moisture issue?
Instead of plywood on sand, maybe rubber mats would work better. We just finished our barn stalls. All dirt floor and we added stone dust as a base and put the 4x6 stall mats down. With heavy rain we get some water in the barn but with the stone dust base and mats it keeps it nice and dry.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: