Framing small bay for kitchen ?

Old 07-08-18, 10:05 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Framing small bay for kitchen ?

I'm finally doing my kitchen over, and need to bump out the rear outside wall about 9" and create a small bay about 7' wide (on an 16' wall) for windows above the sink. it will be the full height of the 8'-6" wall. it will fit neatly under the eave of the roof above which has an 11" soffit. see a rough drawing attached.

My plan is to sister joists for the bay to the existing joists, and tie the studs above to the rafters. again, the bay will be 9" deep, 7' wide, and fit completely within and below the above soffit. kitchen cabinet/sink will fill the space, with most of the weight of the cabinet borne by the existing floor, so no real load on the new 9" out.

hopefully this all makes sense. Does it seem sound to you? thanks as always you guys are great here. great perspective on every project.

Name:  IMG_0243.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  43.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-08-18 at 08:04 PM. Reason: reoriented/enlarged diagram
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-18, 05:42 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
no one has any thoughts on this? I'm wide open.

Old 07-09-18, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 713 Votes on 660 Posts
You would want your sistered floor joists to be at least 4' long. The floor will be especially cold in this area so you would likely want to insulate everything outside the exterior foundation with rigid foam, and air seal the edges.

I assume you have some space reserved above the windows and below the ceiling joists for a header?