Removing 1 stud from a load bearing wall?

Old 08-22-18, 06:03 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing 1 stud from a load bearing wall?

What is the proper way to remove a single stud from a load bearing wall?

This isn't my image, I just found it online. If anyone could specifically answer all or any of the following questions that would be great. If the answer is, "it doesn't matter" then that's still a helpful answer!

Is the header in this case made up of two 2x4s?

Should the jack stud or the king stud be over the floor joist?

Should I use two top caps instead of one as shown on the drawing?

Is it better to have the cripple centered over the opening or better to have it directly under the ceiling joist it's supporting?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-18, 07:40 AM
P
Actually, I'd like to push that header all the way up until it's against the top cap, eliminating the cripple entirely. Would it be prudent to add a second top cap as well?

Old 08-22-18, 08:06 AM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
Inside or outside wall?
There is no need to to center the studs over the joist, the rim joist is under that area if it's an outside wall.
Center the cripple, only time I'd do anything different is if I needed another one added as a nailer for the sheetrock spacing.
Best it there is a drywall seam it falls over the door, not along the sides of it.

Old 08-22-18, 09:33 AM
P
thanks for reply

It's all inside. I'm just trying to open up about an 18" section for some built in shelving. To the left and right, it's really no problem getting the jack or king stud to be installed in line with both the floor and ceiling joists so I might as well do it that way. I have good access to this area and am pretty much building everything from scratch so it's very easy to change anything about the stud layout.

The header is two 2x4s used together such that the 3.5" face runs vertically. Is this a proper header for this?

One top plate enough?

Does it matter if the jack studs sit on top of the floor plate? Also, on the right side, does it matter if the jack and kind studs sit on top of the finished wood floor instead of the subfloor or floor joist?

Oh, and I realize now I don't need the cripple at all because I'd rather just push the header up to touch the top plate.

Old 08-23-18, 12:19 PM
P
Nevermind. Got help from a different forum.

Old 08-24-18, 06:06 AM
Received 256 Votes on 230 Posts
So tell us what they recommended. I'd like to know what they said about the jack studs location. The diagram looks good to me and it's how I've done several door openings.