Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Options for bracing joists with ductwork in the way

Old 09-16-18, 12:53 PM
E
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Currently have a 5" round supply duct that is running in a 2x8" joist bay and it is in the way. This particular joist bay (sure wish I had checked ahead of time) needs to be cross-braced to support a new subfloor I am installing and the existing subfloor that is now not supported for a new hardwood floor I am installing. However, the aforementioned pipe is in the way of bracing so I was looking at options.

1) push current pipe down to drywall ceiling and lay bracing on top of the pipe, joist to joist. Don't think I'll be able to squish it too much as the first storey ceiling is under the duct.

2) remove current pipe and replace with a flexible pipe. However, unsure as to what type of flexible pipe is code/best for a supply duct. There is good flow to the room now and I don't want to jeopardize it with subpar flex pipe.

I'm guessing the flex pipe for the length of the area will be the most practical solution. Thoughts?

Old 09-16-18, 01:04 PM
E
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Options for bracing joists

I have a situation where I removed current aspenite (pre osb, think they called in chipboard?) subfloor, that doesn't hold a nail, to install plywood subfloor. I have an unsupported edge but there is a 5" rigid round supply duct running the entire span I need to support with bracing. In another room I was able to brace the span with 2x4"s and joist hangers. I will not be able to do that here.

Looking for options that will allow me to brace the unsupported edges of the subfloors with the duct kept in place or changing out the duct with something more flexible that will allow a 2x4' cross brace to fit on top of it. Not sure there will be enough room as it is a 2'8" joist bay. Is it okay to put the 2x4 in on the flat? Thoughts?

Old 09-16-18, 02:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,162 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Threads combined as topic is the same,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: