Soffit/bulkhead above second story bathtub

Old 10-04-18, 08:37 AM
E
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Soffit/bulkhead above second story bathtub

Never had a chance to check this, but do the framers know how these soffits were installed back in the mid 1980's? Meaning, is drywall attached to the ceiling joists and then the bulkhead is added or did they just leave the space and box it in later before insulation? Thanks

Old 10-04-18, 08:39 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Only way I have seen is that they were boxed in, like any other structure/wall prior to drywall!

Old 10-04-18, 09:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Usually sheetrocking is one of the later steps. So, usually a soffit or bulkhead is framed in before sheetrock.

Old 10-04-18, 10:10 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Drop ceilings that were not drywalled before the drop was created are one of the hot spots we look for when air sealing a home. In addition to providing an air bypass up through the house they were often poorly insulated. Starting at around page 70 on this link you will see some examples.

Bud

Old 10-04-18, 02:42 PM
E
Thanks for that links and information guys. So, if I understand correctly, the soffit is open to the attic, since the bath is on second floor. If the soffit is framed before drywalling that means it would be framed before insulation meaning insulation would have been placed down into the soffit. I'm not too concerned about heat loss, etc. as I had my attic spray foamed recently but I don't want to take down a soffit that is part of the attic and pulling out the spray foam.

Also, it looks like there is a full 2x8" running across the front of the soffit. This kind of points to more evidence that the soffit is indeed part of the attic. Is that correct?

Old 10-04-18, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
How did you see a 2x8..... from the attic ?

The soffit is just a basic hanging framed box. It should have nothing to do with the attic framing.
Usually the ceiling joists are installed first and then the soffit is nailed to them.

Do you have attic access and have you checked up there ?

Old 10-06-18, 01:56 AM
E
Pjmax I didn't "see" the 2x8. Tapping the drywalled front of the soffit (when you look into the tub alcove, it sounds like it is complete wood, 2x8 or plywood or something and not a 2x2 frame behind the drywall. Guess I should put a stud finder on it to make sure. I do have access to the attic. I think this little project may turn out to be more than it's worth so I'm not going to be removing the soffit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: