Framing question about in-wall aquariums

Old 11-20-18, 01:40 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Framing question about in-wall aquariums

I'd like to fit 2x 48inch wide aquariums into the same wall of my home office on the 2nd (top) story of my house. Here are the details:

-Great access to the space behind the wall from the garage below; there is 3ft between the wall that I'll open up and the next wall (this is presently unused interstitial space).
-For each opening, I plan on using a 53inch header comprised of 2pcs 2x8 sandwiching 1/2inch plywood.
-Each header will have at least 2 cripple studs between the header and the top plate.
-Each header will have 2 jack studs running between the bottom of the header and the bottom plate on each side.
-Between the openings I'll have 4 king studs spanning between the top and bottom plates.
-On the opposite end of each opening I'll have 2 king studs.

Just wanted to get confirmation that the above plan is sound before I send it over to engineer. Let me know if I should provide any additional information. Thanks in advance.

PS- I have the rough sill and platform worked out as well to support the filled tanks.

Old 11-20-18, 01:45 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
It's difficult to envision your plan. A detailed sketch would help. You'll obviously want to be sure the floor below that wall can support that added weight. Are we talking about two 75 gallon tanks? Tank and water weight alone (not including substrate and decorations, filtering equipment, etc) will easily top 1,500 to 1,600 lbs. Is your garage a conditioned space? If not, regulating the tank temperature would be a concern.

Old 11-20-18, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The info you included sounds fine but the engineer will want to know the total weight of the tanks and the makeup of the floor joists, their size and span and how/where they are supported. Also is it just ceiling load these headers are supporting, or is there roof load? The trimmers and king studs will be transferring those point loads to the floor... the floor is one of the most important factors. Is there a load bearing wall directly below the floor (under each of these headers?)

And then there is fire blocking.

Old 11-21-18, 10:30 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tanks are 55 gallon each, so I estimate 500lbs per tank.

Here is a rough sketch of the framing I have in mind:
Name:  IMG_5065.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  92.7 KB

Last edited by radam2k; 11-21-18 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Correct link
Old 11-21-18, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Don't want to repeat myself but that looks fine. See post 3.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: