Overnotched Floor Joist Ends

Old 12-11-18, 07:31 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Overnotched Floor Joist Ends

Examined a sagging 2nd floor addition and found 1st floor joists over notched and cracked at the ends. About 4 of the first floor joists have about 2in notched of a 2x8 (argggh) resting on a cinder block foundation. There is no header bolted to the cinder block foundation.

I would like to repair these defects by placing joist hangers under each of the over notched joists and bolt directly to the cinder block wall.

Is this an acceptable solution?

I'm thinking I would need to put a beam under all of the defective end joists and jack them up simultaneously before placing the joist hangers.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-18, 08:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 588 Posts
Pictures of your joist ends and how they attach to the cinder block wall would be helpful. Here are instructions for posting pictures.

Old 12-11-18, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
According to code, notching is acceptable if it does not exceed d/4. In other words, If your joists are 7 1/2" wide, A 1 7/8" notch is the maximum that joist should be notched. Admittedly, it would be better if they weren't notched at all. But that in itself isn't the end of the world.

The sag probably has more to do with the joists being too small for the span which might also explain the splitting. How far do they span? And just adding joist hangers does nothing for your sagging floor. If it's sagging in the middle, it's over spanned.