Framing for door opening

Old 01-02-19, 12:04 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Framing for door opening

I want to put a door opening in a wall I will be framing shortly. My question is if I am putting the door on one side of the wall how far from the corner stud do you put the king stud?

The door will be a prehung 36".

Any help appreciated.

Old 01-02-19, 12:51 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
I would personally space the rough opening no less than about 5" from the corner. This will give you adequate clearance for the trim moulding and allow you to get a paint brush between the trim and the corner/adjacent wall. It will also allow enough clearance for your door to open slightly more than 90 degrees before hitting the door stop. To answer your question, make a mark at 5" to mark the inside of your rough opening/jack stud, then measure back from there to locate the position of your king stud (2-3/4" off corner to center of king stud).

Old 01-02-19, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It depends on the size trim you intend to use, and which way the door swings. So here what i'd call the minimum... If you are using 2 1/4" casing the king stud can be the first stud beyond the corner and the trimmer stud will make the RO 3" away from the partition wall corner framing. 1/2" drywall on the partition wall reduces that to 2 1/2. Then you have your space between the door jamb and the rough opening (about 3/8") and trim usually overlays the jamb by 1/2".

So that's 3 3/8", meaning you would have 1 1/8" or so between the outside edge of the casing and the partition wall... a big enough gap to paint.

3 3/8" is also enough room for the door to open 90 degrees and hit a door stop, keeping the handle from hitting the wall.

If you need room for a wall switch in the same wall as the door, and the handle (not the hinge) is closest to the corner, that changes everything. Or you can put the wall switch in the partition wall.

The rough opening will be 38x82... or taller if you are adding some thick flooring or tile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: