Hot Water Tank Support

Old 03-01-19, 02:42 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot Water Tank Support

I'm having an issue with the floor under my hot water tank. It had previously leaked and the floor under it started to sag. It is sitting almost perfectly between two joists so upon inspection, it appears it's just the subfloor that I'm having an issue with because the joists are still level.

The tank is in a closet in the bathroom and we are planning a bathroom remodel hopefully this summer once we have the extra cash so I'm wondering if there would be a route I could take to temporarily support the tank from under the house in the crawl space and then fix the floor properly in the coming months when we will likely have a contractor doing the work. I was trying to hold out but it's nearing a point where I'd feel more comfortable if I could put something under it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-19, 03:53 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
If the joists are fine and just the subfloor is sagging, you could use a jack to push a piece of blocking in place between the joists and then fasten it to the joists before removing the jack.

Old 03-01-19, 05:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
I would drain and remove the water heater. Replace the sagging and now warped subflooring. Then reinstall the heater. While you are at it I would add another stud or add some cross blocking between the existing studs underneath the heater to avoid the problem in the future.