Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Stud sensor that work to find trusses below carpet and plywood?

Old 03-10-19, 12:30 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

I need to repair a squeaky floor. I am planning to get on of the popular repair kits.
However, to prep I wanted to locate my joists underneath carpet and plywood sub-floor

Has anyone had success with a particular stud sensor model that actually can detect joists underneath sub-floor? Mine doesn't... It is a Zircon Pro BL

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-19, 12:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 671 Votes on 621 Posts
This may not answer your question, but i wouldnt use a studfinder for that. You should be able to find them by using a hammer. Just listen for the difference between a hollow sound and a solid sound. Or peel up the edge of the carpet and look for the seams in the subfloor.

Someone posted a while back about some new scanner... walabot I think it was. You could look into that.

Old 03-10-19, 03:10 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 623 Votes on 576 Posts
I don't use a stud finder. Like XSleeper mentioned, I use a hammer and listen for the more solid sound that a joist is underneath and I mark the spot. Then try locating a couple other joists in the room. Most often they are spaced 16". So, if you can locate a couple spots and lay the tape measure down and see that they are all 16" apart it's a strong confirmation that you've accurately located the floor joists.

I always start with the hammer method. When I think I'm close I will sometimes just run a long screw into the floor. If you feel solid wood all the way through then you've found the joist. If you don't feel the screw bite into anything after passing through the subfloor then move over an inch and try again until you find it.

Old 03-10-19, 08:07 PM
Received 8 Votes on 6 Posts
i wasted money on a finder that was more money and got good reviews, but I was not impressed. I'm using mostly now one of those magnetic nail finders to assist in looking with a hammer, or depending on the material, I may drill a small hole.