Building Corner pantry with vaulted ceilings

Old 03-16-19, 03:39 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Building Corner pantry with vaulted ceilings

Looking to build a corner pantry with two 18" walls and 45 degree wall with a 24" door. I'm confident in framing the two smaller walls to the vaulted ceiling but not sure how to frame the angled wall for the door and get the right angles for the top plate. Any suggestions so I can get the proper angles and the proper support for the dry wall?

Old 03-16-19, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Lay it out on the floor and use a plumb dot laser or plumb bob to transfer the layout to the ceiling.

Old 03-16-19, 04:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Sorry, I'm not seeing what part you don't understand. You lay out the bottom plate and plumb up to find the corner points on the ceiling. Then connect the dots. Draw a line on the ceiling as you connect the dots to represent where the top plate goes.

One side wall top plate will have beveled end cuts. (Put a sliding t-bevel against the wall and ceiling to find that angle. Or use a magnetic angle finder placed against the ceiling.)

The other side wall top plate will need to be a 2x6 that is ripped on a table saw 3 1/2" wide with a bevel on each side (think parallelogram) in order for it to sit plumb.

The front wall top plate will also need to be ripped from a 2x6 that is ripped on a table saw 3 1/2" wide with a bevel on each side... but if I am picturing it correctly, the bevel on that piece will be 1/2 of the bevel on the side. So if the side wall top plate that you ripped is 30 degree bevel, the front wall top plate bevel would be half that... 15 degrees.

Old 03-16-19, 06:07 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm sure that I'm over thinking it, so bare with me. So you are saying that the front wall with the door will not have any compounding angles? Isn't it common practice for the top plates to be cut at 22.5 degrees (on a flat ceiling) to make a 45 degree angled wall. Then with a vaulted ceiling will that 22.5 degree that each top plate is cut be angled as well as beveled? Or should I just not worry about to much and get it good enough for government work? I can be a bit anal with fine details..... Can you tell?

Anyway xsleeper the use of 2x6's for the two top plates is a good idea. Thank you for all the tips.

Old 03-16-19, 06:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Your miters are all compound angles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: