Interior door install on exterior/attic wall

Old 04-21-19, 06:29 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interior door install on exterior/attic wall

I want to replace the small 24" door currently installed between an upstairs bedroom and an upstairs attic with a 30" x 80" door. Eventually I will convert the attic to a finished closet, but now I just want to install a 30" interior door in the 2x6 wall where the 24" door is now.

Do I need to be concerned about cutting a larger hole for the new door in this wall because there is plywood in the wall? Is it a shear wall?

Can I cut out the bottom plate out of the wall for the doorway? (red X in the picture linked below).
https://imgur.com/a/joMEffd
I drew in the new framing for the 30" door rough in with yellow in the linked picture.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-19, 04:18 AM
B
Received 88 Votes on 77 Posts
There is a difference in height between the floors in the bedroom and attic, hence the need for stairs in the bedroom to the attic door. Since we don't know the history, we don't know why the stairs were not located in the attic. I see no reason you can't reframe the opening for a 30 inch door. Suggest you increase the opening on the current non-hinge side if stair width allows. Have the new door open into the attic.

Old 04-22-19, 07:33 AM
G
Thank you for your response, but I do not follow your comments about stairs. The bedroom and attic floors on either side of the 24" door are the same height. There are no stairs in this scenario. The current 24" door is raised a few inches off the floor of both rooms. That is why I want to cut out the bottom plate marked with the red X in the image.

Old 04-22-19, 02:49 PM
G
Basically, I wasn't expecting to see the plywood in the wall when I pulled back the insulation. And now I'm worried that the wall with this small 24" door is a structural shear wall. And if it is, then perhaps I'm not allowed to cut a larger whole for a 30" x 80" door. Any advice is appreciated!

Old 04-22-19, 04:41 PM
B
Sorry, the height of the the threshold, the narrow width of the door (would't hit top stair when open) and the shadow in the picture led me to believe there were stairs in the bedroom to the attic. Can't see the ceiling joists so not sure if wall is load bearing but if framed properly (using a temporary support if needed) a 30 x 80 door should be no problem. May not have to remove all the framing at the bottom of the opening as the carpeted bedroom floor may have additional sheathing requiring some type of threshold. My take on the plywood on the wall is it provided more insulation than just drywall. It also looks like 6 inch studs on the walls which are usually used for outside walls.

Old 04-22-19, 05:32 PM
G
Yes, they are 2x6 studs, and it is a load bearing wall. Any idea how I can confirm that it is not a shear wall?

Old 04-25-19, 03:59 AM
B
Load bearing walls are in compression. What are the shear forces you are concerned with?