Diagonal Bracing

Old 04-22-19, 09:46 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Diagonal Bracing

I am working on a bathroom remodel and am trying to find a place for a shower niche. The area in the red box of the attached image is the leading contender at this point. This wall was an exterior wall when the house was built in 1941 but an addition was added at some points in the 60's so now there is a closet behind that wall.

I would like to cut out some of the middle stud and diagonal bracing to install a header and frame in a spot for the shower niche. Does this diagonal framing likely serve a structural purpose or was it just there to help keep the wall square when they built it?

Permits were pulled for all of this work so it will be inspected. Not sure if getting an engineer to look at this is my best bet.

Thank you for any information!

Name:  db.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  94.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-23-19 at 10:32 AM. Reason: resized picture
Old 04-22-19, 11:44 PM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
This wall was an exterior wall when the house was built in 1941 but an addition was added at some points in the 60's so now there is a closet behind that wall.
So this is now an interior wall?

Its a diagonal wind brace used on the outside corners to add structural stiffness to the wall.

Another option is an interior corner niche, we have this one!

https://www.tools4flooring.com/showe...SABEgIQR_D_BwE

Old 04-23-19, 05:53 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Correct - it is now an interior wall.

That corner niche is a cool option. I will do some more thinking on that Might be the way to go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: