Cross nailers on a truss joist

Old 05-31-19, 01:29 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross nailers on a truss joist

Can anyone tell me the best way to put a nailer across a truss joist? I removed the subfloor of my bathroom but the trusses don't give me any room to put a nailer near the wall to support the new subfloor because there's either a metal plate or there's just a gap with no place to nail into. I tried to sister plywood to them, but with all the plumbing it just doesn't work and all of the metal plates prevent a lot of nailing as well. I'm really at a loss on how to do this and I can't find anything online that helps

Old 05-31-19, 02:20 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
I assume you have scissor trusses. If there isn't room right where you want to add a nailer I'd install a longer one that gets out to where you can attach it. I usually use a nail gun or screw it in place as there usually isn't room to swing a hammer.

Old 05-31-19, 04:37 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Form your cross brace so that it forms the shape of your trusses. Then use a drill with long bit to drill a pilot hole through the brace and into the metal and eventually hit wood. Use long deck screws to finalize the install. Don't under any circumstances use drywall or any other screws other than deck screws, they are not strong enough.

Old 05-31-19, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,579 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Hard to picture what you have without a photo. Possibly you should be putting some perpendicular blocking in every 16", 19.2" or 24" or so. Or if there is a metal plate in the way, lay a 2x10 flat (something wide enough to span across the plate) and toenail it on both sides where you will miss the mending plates.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: