Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Safe to sand down the wood studs located in garage??

Old 09-28-23, 09:51 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm currently in the process of trying to make my garage into a loungeable area. I don't mind the look of the wooden studs but they are awfully grimy after 40 years of never touching them. After vacuuming and brushing off all the dust, they still dont feel very clean.

1) would it be possible to lightly sand down the wood with 80 grit sandpaper to restore them to its original look. Was also thinking about applying a polyurathane seal afterwords.

2) if sanding is a bad idea, are there any specific wood cleaners that I can use? I wont have access to a pressure washer or a hose. I've read some cleaners need to be washed thoroughly to get the wood back to a natural pH level.

Thank you!

Old 09-28-23, 11:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,155 Upvotes on 3,731 Posts
I see from the other thread..... fixing up the garage.
You can sand and seal the wall studs.
A lot of work but is perfectly fine.

Old 09-29-23, 02:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 876 Upvotes on 767 Posts
IMO it would be a lot simpler/easier to just paint the studs and wall. I'd use a latex stain because it can be done with one coat and no priming.

Old 09-29-23, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,979 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
IMO your time and effort would be better spent putting up some OSB to cover it all up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: