Basement Bedroom Door Framing

Old 10-14-23, 11:52 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement Bedroom Door Framing

I'm looking at ideas for framing in bedroom door in the basement. I don't have much clearance at the bottom of steps and I'm not able to modify the stairs at all. I thought about installing wall at 45 and putting in door, but it would be too tight.
I than thought about bumping wall into room, which would work, but then I'm losing quite a bit of space in the bedroom.

The only option I see working would be a pocket door?

I'm looking to minimize space impact of bedroom, while still being practical.

The room on the other end is my home theater.

hopefully this makes sense.

Old 10-14-23, 12:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
Building code specifies the area at the bottom of the stairs must be a minimum of 36", which is usually equal to the width of the stairs. So your only code compliant option is to turn your last stair tread into a landing to increase that space. If you turn left off that landing and step down you would then need another 36" before you reach the door in your drawing.

Old 10-14-23, 02:19 PM
D
I'm not able to turn bottom step into landing, this was my original idea. I don't have the headroom to do so. Code states I need 6'8" of headroom, if i turn bottom of steps into a landing I would only have 6'4".

I was thinking of removing that section of wall in front of the steps at the bottom and using a pocket door for the bedroom.

That way I would get my 36" code requirement met at bottom of steps. Only downside is that only leaves me 1/2" of room. So no room for adding insulation, paneling, or anything to keep it warm and make it look finished.

Old 10-14-23, 02:29 PM
Group Moderator
Then you probably don't have 80" of vertical headroom as you come down the stairs either... a non conforming stairway.

Old 10-14-23, 03:01 PM
D
I never checked this. The house was built in the early 1950's and the steps are grandfathered in if I don't mess with them.

Vertical headroom is 81 1/2" at the back of the step and 76 1/2" from the nosing of the step. I believe code for my area is 76", so it just makes it

Old 10-14-23, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
If it's 76" then you have no problem building a landing at the bottom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: