Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Basement storm shelter, how to do ceiling trusses

Old 03-04-24, 06:08 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to build a storm shelter in my basement. I have the spot picked out, from what I have read, its best to have a "room within a room". My existing floor trusses above run East West, and I was going to run trusses for the ceiling of my shelter North South. I am just curious how do I go about that. I am looking to use some lvl 2x8, but I don't know how to hang them on the existing trusses so I can stick build the walls below it?

Old 03-04-24, 09:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,270 Upvotes on 2,022 Posts
Build the walls first. Then set your ceiling joists on top. If you've gotta put the ceiling joists up first you can use joist hangers or metal straps. Since this is only for construction it doesn't matter what type you use as long as it can accomplish what you want.

Old 03-04-24, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,960 Upvotes on 1,757 Posts
If you need to hang the joists first, screw 2x4s flat onto the bottom of your floor trusses, then screw the joists to the sides of them. Build your walls, then remove all the fasteners from the flat 2x4s if you don't want your room connected to your floor trusses in any way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: