Queen Bed --- need center support

Old 04-11-14, 10:33 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Queen Bed --- need center support

I have a cherry bedroom set from Jamestown Sterling (not sure if they are still in business). The headboard and footboard of the queen bed are connected by metal rails 4.5in tall that have a sort of faux wood look. The 3 crossmembers seem to snug into slots in the lip of the metal rails where normally with wood rails they would be secured with wood screws.

With today's heavier queen mattress sets, I will need some type of center support rails, i.e. support feet going to the floor in the middle of the bed. I am having trouble determining which solution will work because of these metal side rails that I have. Haven't been able to locate them anywhere on the web.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-14, 12:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 282 Posts
Not sure you will find what you are looking for but it isn't a big deal to construct something. It could be as simple as 2x4 framing to span the gap between the floor and the bottom of the slats.

Old 04-11-14, 12:22 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
When we converted our bed from full size to queen, Mark's suggestion is what I had in mind. But, on a whim, I asked the guys at the furniture store if they had anything, and they found a set of three legs in their warehouse that bolted to the slats and have an adjustable foot on the bottom.

Old 04-11-14, 05:19 PM
G
I think I can find the 3 legs you speak of on Amazon. My problem will be that I need them to clamp onto metal crossmembers, not bolt onto wooden crossmembers.

Old 04-11-14, 05:23 PM
G
Oddly I have not been able to find any mention of these 4.5in high "wood-look" metal side rails that connect my headboard and footboard anywhere on the web.

Old 04-12-14, 04:59 PM
G
Here are some photos of the how the metal cross members snap into the crevices in the metal side rails. Hoping to find something like these metal cross members but with center support.

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 7808
Size:  16.6 KBName:  photo 5.jpg
Views: 7872
Size:  24.1 KBName:  photo 8.jpg
Views: 8546
Size:  39.4 KBName:  photo 9.jpg
Views: 7819
Size:  35.2 KB

Old 04-12-14, 05:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
don't know if you will find anything but easy way to do what you want is a 2 X4 down center and 3 or 4 legs spaced at cross rails. Use tie wraps to hold to rail.

Old 04-14-14, 06:36 AM
G
I have found the adjustable support towers that are designed to attach to the wooden cross members by 4 wood screws.

Has anyone seen a similar "clamp-on" model, an adjustable support tower that would clamp onto the metal cross supports?

Old 04-14-14, 10:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 282 Posts
Couldn't you just use baling wire? it's not like anyone will see it

Old 04-14-14, 10:26 AM
G
That's an idea. I was also thinking of getting some 3in diameter pvc, cutting to the right height, then cutting a slot in the top so that the metal cross piece recesses into it.

Apparently, mattress manufacturers void the warranty without center supports and mattresses and foundations have changed a lot since we bought this bed.

Old 02-19-16, 06:21 PM
M
I realize this thread is almost 2 years old, but I want to share what I found so that it can help anyone in the future that is having the same/similar problem.
<>
I was recently given twin size stackable bunk beds from the 1950's-1960's. The headboards & footboards are solid wood, but the side rails are metal - they are wood grain toned, they really resemble wood. The metal side rails have 3 slots where the metal support slats are supposed to be placed. The end of the slat rests in the slot of the rail. I had never seen rails & slats like these before. They look exactly like your rails & slats. After much searching online, I found a website that sells replacement slats & center support legs that fit these types of metal slats. As of today, $29.45 is the cost for each replacement slat - the cost for each center support leg is $19.50. You can find them at: Metal Bed Support Slats for Metal Side Rails - Bedding Products | GarrettSupports.com .
<>
"This package of 3 metal under box spring supports are compatible with beds using metal side rails. These rails are often "wood grain" toned and should resemble the rails in our photos. The metal slats fit Twin, Full, and Queen. (Please specify size in your order) We recommend 2 Center Support Legs as Pictured and that they be positioned on the upper 2 slats as 65% of body weight is concentrated in this area. The cost for each center support Leg is $19.50."
<>
"Metal Bed Support Slats for Metal Side Rails:
Metal under box spring supports for use with metal side rails.
Comes in package of 3. (Center Supports Must be Purchased Separately)
Metal Bed Support Slats for Metal Side Rails is available for purchase in increments of 1 for $29.45."
<>
I hope this is helpful.

Old 02-19-16, 06:47 PM
G
Thanks, Meshee.

That looks like a solution as those are the metal slats that I have. I would just need to purchase 2 or 3 of the center supports.

I went on to implement the PVC pipe solution and it works very well.