Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Decorating, Design, Painting, Upholstery and Fabrics Center > Furniture and Furnishings
Reload this Page >

Leather Couch in need of some TLC - I'm stumped - Creative People Needed!

Leather Couch in need of some TLC - I'm stumped - Creative People Needed!

Old 04-17-16, 11:26 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink Leather Couch in need of some TLC - I'm stumped - Creative People Needed!

Hello fellow DIY-ers
I have just got my hands on a set of leather couches. They are black and about 15 years old, but good quality. The leather is a bit faded, but no cracks or tears on the cusions or back. Unfortunately, they do have puncture-type tears on the lower backs/corners of the couches presumably from an animal. (Not scratches, more like gouges). They are free to me and I am happy to put them to good use. I have been looking at leather repair options, but since this is a set of three, each with a few damaged areas, this seems like a lot of work and rather expensive, as I'm sure I will need multiple kits.
I'm wondering if anyone has ever re-upholstered only the bottom portion of a couch before (ie- not the cushions, back or arms). Or has any ideas of how to creatively cover this area. (A modern looking couch skirt?). I've been scouring the internet but I can't seem to find much. I know there are some creative minds on this forum!! Any one up to the challenge?? I'm ready for any and all suggestions!!! I can absolutely post pictures later on today. The couches are currently in my in-laws garage so I don't have any pictures yet.

Thanks guys!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-16, 11:36 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to Make a Pleated Skirt for a Sofa - For Dummies

I can see how they attach it to a slip cover, but I'm hoping to not have to cover the cusions, arms and back.

Old 04-18-16, 06:29 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
While this is a DIY site, leather repair is generally recommended to be hired out, as it is just too easy to mess it up.

Old 04-18-16, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 98 Posts
There's not really any good way to just cover the bottom of a couch. The only way to add a skirt to it, without a slipcover, would be to add a band to it and staple it on. However, all the holes would further damage your couch.

Welcome to the forum!