aving shoulder surgery- need recliner

Old 11-22-16, 05:07 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
aving shoulder surgery- need recliner

Preparing for shoulder surgery on my right side. It's recommended that I get a recliner to sleep in because I won't be able to lay flat in a bed for some time. My research shows that almost all recliners have the controls on the right side. I'll need to have something I can operate with my left arm for my situation.

I know you can order a lazyboy with the controls on the left, but that takes 3-6 weeks, and I don't have that much time before surgery.

I also don't want to spend a ton of money since this is only a temporary situation.

I've decided that I should go with electric version since it seems it will be easier to swap or run a new switch/button to the other side. my budget is around $700 including tax and delivery...which I know is not a lot for a recliner, but this is a temporary situation. and I'll have a lot of medical bills coming in.

so in my search for inexpensive electric recliners I found these two options:

https://www.mybobs.com/living-room-f...power-recliner

This one was pretty comfy and has some nice features such as a wired remote control featuring usb charging for phone/ipad, and it is a lay flat also with power incline on the headrest. It also has adjustable lumbar...don't know if that needed?

It matches my current living room set fairly well, and I wouldn't have to "hack" the button to make it usable on the left side. the unknown for me is the quality of Bob's stuff....(I know...I don't really expect quality from a $600 recliner)

The other option which I though was very comfy even without the power headrest was this one, but I will have to figure something out for the button

https://www.raymourflanigan.com/skye...280320070.aspx

I don't know if I could easilty pop the button out of the right side, and somehow just lay it over on the right side so I can put it back in the hole after I'm healed up? or possibly leave it and just buy another button for it....if they all use the same 5 pin plug?

ELECTRIC RECLINER REMOTE CONTROL, TWO (2) BUTTON POWER LIFT CHAIR HAND WAND | eBay

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-22-16, 07:08 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My mom went through this about 11 years ago...I happened to have a La-z-boy that fit the bill and it worked great. The ability to lay flat on the Bob's recliner is not something you should use as they WANT you to be in a more elevated position. However, that one sounds like a good option for you. The other two I can think of are 1.) reschedule your surgery and order the La-z-boy - see if they can put a rush on it given the circumstances, and 2.) rent a hospital bed for the short time period (it's really not very long) and keep it in the recliner position. #2 seems more comfy to me anyway! Good luck and be sure and do your PT!

Old 11-23-16, 03:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
I would not spend a lot of money on a recliner for a short term, unless you really like the recliner and plan on keeping it. I had a total replacement of the right shoulder 3 years ago, and had no problem sleeping in a regular bed with a little pillow support. Now, you won't be able to even think about side sleeping (which I do), so it takes some getting used to. Sleep on the left side of the bed so you can extricate yourself from the lying position. You won't be able to use the right arm to pull up with. Luckily I had a left over trapeze from MIL which I found a great help.

Above all, as klmclain1 said DO YOUR PT !! It hurts. Take a pain pill 30 minutes before you go to have PT. It makes it a little more bearable. It takes time to get full range of motion so don't give up on it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: