Kitchen cabinets on legs?

Old 06-20-18, 10:15 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Kitchen cabinets on legs?

I have a kitchen fitting question...

We had a leak a week or so back and our entire downstairs flooring and kitchen is ruined. It has been removed and it now resembles a building site. The kitchen units all had to be thrown away due to water damage as they sat directly on the floor.

I'm from the UK and back there I fitted our kitchen and the units sit on adjustable plastic legs rather than directly on the floor.
An example:
http://www.amazon.com/Desunia-Cabine...n+cabinet+legs

This makes it easy to adjust their heights and level etc and protects the units in the event of a leak. Just the kickboards need replacing and they cost peanuts compared to the full kitchen.
Each leg can support over 300lb so with multiple legs per cabinet they are more than capable of supporting granite etc. We are in Southern California. So we can get earthquakes.

Is it just a regional thing or do all USA kitchens sit directly on the floor? Would there be a building code in effect for this as we're in earthquake country?

Thanks
Marc

Old 06-20-18, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
When you buy cabinets from a box store in the US, they usually have a built in toe kick, where the sides of the cabinet and front of the toekick extend to the floor. Then a piece of 1/4" veneered plywood is installed across the fronts of multiple cabinets to finish off the toe kick surface.

Euro (modular) cabinets are often custom built, and sit up off off the floor like boxes and use the legs you refer to. End panels or scribes are applied to the sides of cabinets as needed. The toe kick is generally 3/4" thick and is siliconed to the adjustable legs, screwed through the base, or both.

In the US, the type of cabinets you are familiar with are likely available from custom kitchen businesses, but not box stores.

Old 08-03-18, 03:48 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So we are ordering a Kemper kitchen. Long story why but let's just say my wife likes a certain color.

In case someone digs this up in future... Kemper will cut off the built-in toe-kicks for free, leaving essentially just a rectangular box. You can then add the legs on yourself.
I am still not sure whether to do it being in earthquake country. But then again if a big one lands the state of kitchen cabinets will probably be low on the list to sort out!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: