Extra long legs for kitchen cabinets

Old 07-25-18, 03:01 PM
_
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Extra long legs for kitchen cabinets

I'm new here and a bit of a noob in all things furniture. I hope this is not too of a dumb question.

I purchased a second-hand pair of kitchen cabinets with a worktop, which I intend to put in my kitchen. The cabinets are from IKEA, or at least very similar in construction to IKEA's products. Each of the cabinets rests on four 10 cm (4") legs, which are attached to the cabinet with four wood screws set up 45 mm (1.8") apart. The area of contact of the leg with the cabinet is about 5 cm (2") wide (see picture).

As these cabinets are quite low and I'm very tall, I intend to replace the legs with longer ones, so that the worktop ends up at a comfortable height for me. I will need 30 cm (12") legs, which seem to be available with the exact same screw positions.

I'm just a bit worried that putting the cabinets on such long legs with what seems to be a small area of contact might make the whole thing less solid. I guess that in case of lateral forces (e.g. pushing the cabinet from the side) the wood that sits on the legs and holds the screws would be in greater stress than with the shorter legs (since it'd be like a lever with a longer handle).

I think it should be fine, but I just want to make sure. It is ok to replace these legs with similar ones, just three times as long? Or should I get legs with a larger area of contact and drill new holes?

Thanks!

Old 07-25-18, 03:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 724 Upvotes on 634 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Unless you intend to move the cabinet around, why not build a wooden base for it to set on .... preferably with a door/drawer for extra storage.

Old 07-26-18, 06:02 AM
_
That's a great idea! However I'm not confident enough on my (almost nil) DIY skills to build a wooden base that will safely hold the weight of the cabinets

Old 07-26-18, 05:40 PM
J
Received 125 Upvotes on 110 Posts
Where's it going to move to?
It should be attached to the back wall and to the other cabinets beside it.

Old 07-27-18, 01:35 AM
_
It will have a wall to the back and one to the left. To the right there's a free-standing oven to which it cannot reasonably be attached.

What can happen if it's not attached to the wall? (besides the minor problem of things occasionally falling through the gap behind)

Old 07-27-18, 03:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 724 Upvotes on 634 Posts
Securing a cabinet to the wall insures that it won't move. Especially important when you open/close doors/drawers.

Old 07-27-18, 11:20 AM
_
I don't think that would be a problem... never in my life have I seen a not attached piece of furniture move when you open a door or drawer, not even small pieces such as bedside tables. Unless the drawer or door is stuck, the force that is transferred to the cabinet should be minimal. I'm mainly concerned about the legs safely holding the weight.

Old 07-27-18, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,646 Upvotes on 1,474 Posts
Kitchen base cabinets get attached to the wall... and when they are, there is NO stress on the legs other than the downward weight. The countertop also gets caulked to the wall so that food and bugs dont go back there. The only time they don't get screwed to the wall is if you have some rolling cabinet like a butcher block.

You admitted you are a newbie when it comes to this, so it doesn't really make sense that you contradict and ignore the advice. Do what you want with the legs if that is your only concern. But the long legs won't be able to budge if you put 2 screws into the wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: