Add Swivel to Leather Recliner?

Old 02-18-19, 07:28 PM
O
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Add Swivel to Leather Recliner?

Hi All,

We have a leather recliner that we would like to add a swivel function to. There is no lever to pull in order to recline; its the kind that you just lean back and then the back of the chair goes back quite a bit, and the foot rest folds up and out from the bottom of the chair.

It has four wooden legs, each about 5" or 6" tall or so. I'm guessing they can be unscrewed and removed.

Amazon has some swivels, but it looks like they require five legs. With legs, mine has four; without legs, mine has, um, none.

Anyone have any idea how we can convert our recliner into a swiveling recliner?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-19, 09:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 686 Votes on 633 Posts
Pick a swivel of the appropriate diameter to fit your chair. Then attach the legs of your chair to the swivel or remove the legs and attach the swivel directly to the chair's frame. The number of legs on your chair doesn't matter as you're going to have to do some customizing to mount the two together.

Old 02-19-19, 09:25 AM
O
Ah, ok. Thanks!

After you said that, I just looked into how to mount a swivel on. I didn't realize I would put a new plywood base on the bottom and then attach the swivel (or attach swivel right to the frame). Now I get why the number of legs doesn't matter.

Quick follow-up question: Do you know if the recline function of my chair will change the type (or "heavy-dutiness") of swivel I need, i.e., does the fact that it reclines mean I need a special swivel to handle a change in the center of gravity if someone reclines?

Also, what is the "appropriate diameter" to fit my chair? Should the legs of the swivel be larger/smaller/equal in diameter than the base of the chair?

Thanks again!

Old 02-19-19, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,201 Votes on 1,111 Posts
What you are wanting to do will make the chair act differently. Be sure you really need it to swivel before you do this work as mounting a base and then legs..... will not be easy. You can buy just swivel plate or a swivel with a bottom..... like the ring in the link. The larger the swivel.... the more stable the chair will be.

Swivel

Old 02-19-19, 07:02 PM
O
Hi PJ,

Thanks for the response.

What do you mean that it will act differently? Do you mean that the recline function won't work the same/at all?

Also, everything I've now read about installing swivels (such as in the link you provided) is that its relatively easy. Attach plywood to the base of the chair, then attach the swivel to that. Is there a step that I'm missing?

Thanks again!

Old 02-19-19, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
It will rock slightly on the swivel plate. Will the ring on the swivel be high enough ?
If not.... the chair may be too low to be comfortable.

Old 02-19-19, 09:12 PM
O
Ah, got it. Makes sense. So I guess my next question is...anyone know of a swivel that is about 4-6"?

Thanks!

Old 02-19-19, 09:33 PM
Group Moderator
4-6" what....... high...... tall ?

Old 02-19-19, 09:51 PM
O
Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, a swivel that would raise the chair by about 4" to 6" from the ground. The legs that are currently on the chair are about 5" in height. If I remove them, I'd like to add a swivel that is similar in height.

Old 02-21-19, 07:09 AM
A
Received 91 Votes on 84 Posts
You have to figure out the center of gravity to mount the swivel further forward or back and keep the chair from tipping. You may be able to get a good idea of the mounting point by taking a tape measure to a furniture store and examining some of the recliners there. Also the swivel has to be installed so the chair and rotating parts do not scrape on the stationary base when you recline.

Generally the larger the diameter of the ring the greater the weight capacity. But the kingpin or center pivot needs to be strong enough to not break or wear out quickly.