End Table Formica Top Removal

Old 10-14-22, 03:56 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
End Table Formica Top Removal

I have two really nice hardrock maple end tables that have a hideous formica top. I'm sure the intent was to have a more sturdy surface but the color is off and does not match the rest of the end table. I'm presuming that there is maple underneath and would like to remove the formica yet not tear up the table. Is there a good way to get the removal started , special tools or adhesive remover I should use?

Old 10-14-22, 08:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
My first thought was heat gun and a putty knife maybe. Hot enough to loosen the adhesive not not enough to start the Formica on fire.

Old 10-14-22, 11:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
The only thing I'll add in addition to what Tow Guy said is I like using a painter's tool. It's sort of a heavy duty putty knife with a sharpened edge so you can scrape harder without fear of bending a putty knife.

Then you'll have a lot of fun removing the glue. First I'd try scraping with a painters scraper that has a sharp blade. Then sand. I'd consider a solvent or paint stripper as a second option, mainly because I have less experience removing contact cement with them.

Old 10-14-22, 01:54 PM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
I was about to suggest acetone (not from actual experience but general knowledge) but when I went to check I found this. And a little more information here. I did not know that contact cement solvent was a thing.

Old 10-17-22, 04:33 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I appreciate the tips and links. I think I'm going to tackle one of the end tables this week. I have a heat gun and putty knives and painter's tool.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: