Help with making posts for aquarium stand

Old 09-06-15, 06:17 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with making posts for aquarium stand

I am trying to rebuild an aquarium stand for a 30 gallon aquarium. I have had it for a few years with 4 2x2s, and I noticed it starting to lean to one side. So I decided to take off the 2x2s and use larger boards. I started with 4 2x6s, and then I started thinking that if I set up the 2x6s so that each row was pointing in a different direction, I might be able to make it more stable. So this project is as you see it in the pic.

Now I'm wondering if the setup of the 2x6s would make it more stable or less stable, than if I had each of the 2x6x pointed in the same direction.

Which is it?

EDIT: What you see is only the start. I am going to reinforce these boards by connecting them to each other with 2x4s. At this point I'm just worried about the way the 2x6s are laying.

Attached Images  

Last edited by paulri; 09-06-15 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-06-15, 06:38 PM
I would turn the rear legs (away from the patio door), in the same direction as front legs.

Here's my reasoning:

The long side will have 5.5" of material at each end to screw a stabilizer into. The short side will only have 1.5" to screw into. The long side always needs more support than the short side.

If you really want this stable, attach panels (either short or tall) to each side. Another option is to have a shelf at bottom, about 5 - 6" from floor. The shelf would be notched around 2 x 6's and have side rails.

Old 09-06-15, 06:44 PM
P
Two very good points here:

The long side will have 5.5" of material at each end to screw a stabilizer into. The short side will only have 1.5" to screw into. The long side always needs more support than the short side.

I see what you are getting at.

BTW--I will have two shelves that are fitted in snug against the four posts, also there will be 2x4s connecting them.

Old 09-07-15, 05:29 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Stand

Is that drywall attached to the two legs closest to the top of the photo? If so, get rid of it. Drywall provides no structural support.

Old 09-07-15, 06:43 AM
P
No, it's wood. It is covered in some type of black laminate, but inside it is wood.

Old 09-13-15, 09:36 AM
S
Smile reinforce top frame

I noticed the four metal brackets holding the legs to the top shelf look weak. An easy fix would be to make up a 3 x 1" frame and fix into shelf top by marking and drilling through the top into the frame and countersinking the holes so the screws fit flush. Then fix a leg at each corner. A rail could be fixed around the lower end of the legs to strengthen it and stop it from leaning in future. Hop this is some help.

Old 08-09-16, 03:22 PM
P
Thanks for your suggestions. It took me a while (like a year!) but I finally got the wood legs properly reinforced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: