Which adhesive?

Old 02-25-16, 03:58 AM
C
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
Which adhesive?

My wife has asked me to re-purpose two marble slabs into covers for the electric cooktop. The idea is to create more counter space when the cooktop is not in use.

I've made some "legs" out of pine board, which raise the marble to the correct height. I'd now like to glue the legs onto the marble slabs.

What adhesive will work best for this? Epoxy? Gorilla glue? Liquid nails? Any i'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-16, 04:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Any of the above, plus silicone. I would consider epoxy. Interesting idea. How heavy is it?

Old 02-25-16, 04:59 AM
Received 231 Votes on 206 Posts
I would think twice about this. I also wanted to take some extra granite counter top to use as a cutting board and stove top cover. The stone mason said not to do it. It will tend to crack if not supported on the total under surface. I got this advise from two counter top outfits.

Old 02-25-16, 05:11 AM
T
Received 30 Votes on 28 Posts
Yes, there are many adhesives you can use. I'm not a big fan of Gorilla glue because of it's tendency to expand. If you're looking to do it best, though, I'd consider a polyurethane construction adhesive. Liquid Nails and others make a product formulated for marble that works well with wood. Since you're only using a little, consider taking the adhesive from out the back by removing the cap.

"It will tend to crack if not supported on the total under surface." BTW, what's the span and thickness? I believe you should be fine at 2-3" depending on thickness (2' for 3/4" and 3' for 1 1/4"), although I wouldn't push it. You can also add a small support underneath.

Last edited by Tony P.; 02-25-16 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-25-16, 09:49 AM
C
The granite is 1/2" thick, about 16" wide and 28" long. We were not planning for it to support much more than dishes or glassware, but I have room for mid-span supports so i'll add them in case someone sets a roasting pan full of turkey on it!

Not sure about the weight. It's manageable for me, and my wife can move them around too.

When you mention "silicone" are you referring to a caulk? I think I was leaning toward liquid nails because it may be easier to remove if it ever came to re-gluing.

Old 02-25-16, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The granite installers I work with use epoxy to secure anything to the underside.

The wider or larger diameter of the legs, the less important a very strong hold is.

Old 02-25-16, 10:18 AM
T
Received 30 Votes on 28 Posts
"The granite is 1/2" thick, about 16" wide and 28" long."
Note that previously you were considering marble. Either way, 28" is a lot of distance for 1/2" stone so adding a support is necessary. BTW, dishes can get to pretty heavy.

In terms of adhesive, Liquid Nails has a marble polyurethane product but I'd be focusing on the polyurethane rather than the brand.

Old 02-25-16, 10:26 AM
Received 231 Votes on 206 Posts
BTW, dishes can get to pretty heavy.
This is why the pros told me not to do it.

It's similar to the outside overhand or lip on a stone counter top. We were told in no uncertain terms at time of installation to never, never put your knee, or foot on the edge when reaching for items in those high shelves in the upper cupboards.

Old 02-28-16, 08:32 AM
C
I did mis-speak, sorry. The stone in question is marble. I wound up using epoxy, which worked well.

Warnings about long spans received and noted, thank you.