Best way to finish wood window ledge?

Old 03-06-16, 05:18 AM
M
Received 9 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Best way to finish wood window ledge?

I recently took apart my 96" long kitchen window and remounted a piece of fir wood under it.

Originally the window had a piece of 2X4 plus a piece of 1X4 under the concrete tie beam. I took the window out, got rid of the 2X4 up top and raised the window by 1.5". I then put a piece of 2X fir under it as a outside countertop, ledge whatever you call it.

This piece of wood will be under a 4' overhang, so it won't get wet from rain. But we do have hot and humid weather here in Miami with humidity of 250% in the summer...so

What is the best way to finish it to stop the wood from warping and rotting? I prefer the natural look and finish. Should I use mineral oil? Should I stain it? Should I apply a coat of polyurethane?

Old 03-06-16, 05:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 876 Upvotes on 767 Posts
A spar urethane [like Minwax's Helmsman] would probably be best if it doesn't see much sun/rain.
Stain [optional] and apply 3 coats of spar poly, sanding lightly between coats.

Old 03-07-16, 07:11 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,292 Upvotes on 1,229 Posts
Spar urethane is my vote for the finish as well.

Old 03-22-16, 07:53 PM
M
Received 9 Upvotes on 7 Posts
OK I got the spa urethane and ready to go.

Any advice as to best way to get a smooth finish? What is the best brush to use? Should I thin the urethane with thinner?

I read online somewhere that if I dilute the urethane with thinner 50%, I can use a rag to apply smooth finish with no bubble or brush strokes.

This is my first time using spa urethane so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-23-16, 02:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 876 Upvotes on 767 Posts
Spar urethane doesn't apply much different than any other oil base coating. It works best with a natural bristle brush. Yachtsman is good economical brush, it's made by Wooster. Thinning often helps coatings brush better. Most coating manufactures frown at thinning more than 10% Generally 3 coats is best with sanding and removing dust between coats.

Personally I don't think much of thinning poly 50% and applying it with a rag as that will leave very little protective film on the wood. I don't care for the store bought wiping polys for the same reason.

Old 03-23-16, 12:08 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,292 Upvotes on 1,229 Posts
I wouldn't bother thinning it at all, as that just means you leave less of the product there with each layer. Don't overbrush when you apply; just work the brush one way and then back and you should leave a pretty smooth surface and you're going to want to do a light scuff sand between coats anyway to promote good adhesion of the layers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: