Table Finish Damage from Isopropyl Alcohol

Old 04-20-16, 02:22 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Table Finish Damage from Isopropyl Alcohol

We accidentally got a spill of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol on our nice dining room table top. After discovering the spill and wiping it up, a whitish stain has remained on the dark brown finish. The table is about 4 years old, from Ethan Allen, and it's made of mindi wood. Are there any solutions to fixing this without having the entire table top refinished?

Thanks!

Old 04-20-16, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
Try pointing the hair dryer at it for a while. The heat and air might just dry up the cloudiness. Can't hurt to try. I would set it up so you can leave it sit and walk away from it.

Old 04-20-16, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't like to give this advice, but I recommend you do not work on the table.
This is expensive furniture.
Around here they have places like furniture doctors. They have special training in using things such as lacquer sticks.

Old 04-21-16, 09:01 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Commercial furniture is generally finished with lacquer and your damage to the finish as a result of alcohol confirms that's what you have as well.

There have been a couple posts like this where wood ashes were used but I can't recall whether they were for water stains....

I'm with Brian - unless you want to refinish the top yourself, I would consider bringing in a pro.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: