Best way to glue veneer to this table?

Old 08-05-16, 12:30 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best way to glue veneer to this table?

Hello everyone!

I am refinishing this antique (1920s) dining set to use in our dining room. The veneer on top was badly water damaged so I have pulled it up to replace it. I'm trying to figure out how to glue the new veneer on top but I don't know what kind of glue I should use - every tutorial I've found shows gluing veneer to plywood - the tabletop is not plywood but the old boards. Any advice on what kind of glue/technique I should use in this case?

Thank you for any advice you can offer!

Attached Images   
Old 08-05-16, 02:03 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Contact cement is the usual choice for veneers and laminates.

Have you ever used it before?

Old 08-05-16, 02:08 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Not a great surface to be attaching a veneer to.
It's to rough and not 100% flat.
Any veneer needs to be in 100% contact with the material below.
What was covering the sides?

Old 08-05-16, 03:17 PM
I was serious into veneer.
Since the surface had veneer before, you can sand the surface and apply the new veneer.
The best way to apply veneer is with hide glue, but that's not practical for anyone but serious woodworkers. It requires special clamps or vacuum tables.

If using contact cement, use the original formula and not the low VOC. Keep the container and tray covered as much as possible, every minute, the cement must remain thin.

Whether glue or contact cement is used to adhere, use wood glue for the veneer joints. Use a straightedge and a utility knife or veneer cutter to cut your joints through two layers of veneer, this should give you a very nice joint. Apply wood glue to the edges and tape until dry.

There are ways to duplicate the hide glue process without the hassle. Do a search for Iron on Veneer.

Old 08-05-16, 04:03 PM
A
stickshift - I haven't had any experience with contact cement.

joecaption - I know, I looked into some thin plywood as an underlay but the thinnest I could find was 1/4" and you could see the sides of the plywood, not a good look. I'm not sure what you mean by what was covering the sides, the original veneer was really thin stuff, glued on with something that was not hide glue because it didn't have that smell to it when I wet the surface.

Handyone - Thank you for the tip! I had seen a video before where they overlapped and then sliced through to make a nice seam, it was pretty neat how they did that. I bought the hide glue in a bottle to fix several chairs in the set, I thought about using that but the "hammer" method looked a little daunting and inaccessible to a newbie like me. The iron on way might be for me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: