Paint or stain for custom vanity

Old 08-20-16, 08:54 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Paint or stain for custom vanity

Hello,

I am still in the process of remodeling my half bathroom. We decided to keep the existing vanity since it is a nice size. I believe it is made out of birch wood. I had to sand it down but as you can see, in a few places I needed to use wood putty. My wife wants to use Annie Sloan chalk paint on it but I don't have experience with that product. Would something like that be OK for this vanity or would it be better to prime/paint it? I don't know that I could use stain because of the wood putty (I think the places with wood putty would stand out). Any thoughts? Thank you!Name:  2.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  22.7 KBName:  1.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  28.3 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  13.5 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  33.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-16, 09:17 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yes, it's birch. I agree, it's unlikely a stain/topcoat would end up looking good because of the filler. I think you'd be better off with paint.

Not familiar with the paint you mention and there's not a lot of info at the site about it's formulation or durability. I'd probably prime it and use enamel for the top coats in the shade/sheen of your choice.

Perhaps someone else here is familiar with that paint and can comment about it's suitability for a vanity.

Old 08-20-16, 12:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
I'm not familiar with that particular paint either but an oil base primer followed by a couple of coats of latex or waterborne enamel should work nice. Sand lightly between coats.

Old 08-21-16, 09:49 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, this is the primer I bought. Will this work OK?

Shop Bulls Eye Bulls Eye Interior Oil Primer (Actual Net Contents: 128-fl oz) at Lowes.com

As far as paint goes, one guy at the hardware store recommended Benjamin Moore Advanced paint. Anyone used that?

Thanks!

Old 08-21-16, 10:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
That primer should do fine. I seldom use BM coatings and haven't used their Advanced.

Old 08-22-16, 07:19 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I've used a lot of BM paints over the years but the SWP store is closer since I moved a few years ago. What kind of paint is Advanced?