Help me pick a stain for a door facing outdoors

Old 08-26-16, 07:09 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help me pick a stain for a door facing outdoors

I have about a half quart of a can of each of these two stains. They are for a solid wood door that faces the outside. I live in a desert climate that gives plenty of sunlight and wind, and a tad amount of rain on this door. There are also claw marks from dogs scratching (usually we let them in, don't worry). I have a quart of Helmsman indoor/outdoor spar urethane (clear stain) to put on it, after the layer of stain cures.

OK, please help me rule out one, if one of them would be a poor choice. One is Varathane semi-gloss interior crystal clear waterborne; the other is Cabot wood stain. I will try to edit this and post links to the particular products if I can find them.

FWIW, the Varathane pic on the link I found, the label looks a bit different, but my label, like the one in the pic, says Diamond wood finish, semi-gloss, interior water based, so I suppose it is the same stain/finish.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-16, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
Do you realize that "stain" and "finish" are two completely different products, with different purposes? You seem to use them interchangeably, so its confusing what you are actually asking.

Stains color the wood. When stain is dry, you apply the finish, which is always clear. (It is not a clear stain). You should not apply stain over wood that is already coated with a finish.

So assuming your door is wood, and already has a finish on it, you would need to completely strip the old finish off onn order to stain the wood.

So tell us exactly what you are hoping to accomplish.

Old 08-26-16, 08:15 PM
P
OK, what I bought today (the Helmsman) says "finish" on it. so what i need to select is a stain. So that rules out the Varathane. I need to find a product that I will apply before I apply the helmsman finish. Fortunately there is not much original stain left on the door for me to remove.

Yeah DIY is not my forte, I was using them interchangeably, but now I see that they are in fact different. Thanks for helping me decide which I need to use.

Old 08-27-16, 04:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
Penetrating stains are applied to raw wood, so to restain your door you'd first need to remove all the coating that is currently on it! If you post a pic or two of the door we can better advise you what your best course of action would be - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 09-21-16, 03:03 AM
F
Banned
my choice would be cabot wood stain, it brings the beauty of the wood

Old 09-21-16, 03:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
Most Cabot stains are meant for exterior wood as the finish and not suitable for a door. They do sell an interior penetrating stain that could be used on a raw door but it requires 2-3 coats of varnish/poly to protect it from wear. If the door is exposed to the elements it the protective coats need to be spray varnish/poly.