Repairing epoxy glaze coat after cured

Old 01-27-17, 07:19 AM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Repairing epoxy glaze coat after cured

I applied famowood glaze coat to my bar top. While removingName:  IMG_0047.jpg
Views: 7401
Size:  50.7 KB air bubbles using my propane torch, a spot instantly crystallized. I scraped out some of it but I want to fill that small area again and once that cures, recoat the entire bar top. Would this meld with what's there now? I included a photo of the trouble area.

Old 01-27-17, 09:05 AM
C
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
According to the instructions, multiple coats can be applied and will bond to previous coats. You may see a faint outline of the patched area, but I doubt it will be objectionable since the material will self level to a fair degree, especially in a small area.

If you want to be certain, you could replicate the process on a scrap piece.

Old 01-27-17, 09:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,621 Likes on 1,455 Posts
Yea, heat speeds up the hardening/curing of epoxy. As you found it can cause it to cure really fast and can sometimes crystallize.

I would carefully clean out what you have. Look very carefully and remove flakes and fine crevices. You can also use a knife to carefully scrape down the sides of the hole to a shallower angle. What you want to get rid of are crevices and sharp angles that will trap air bubbles when you fill in the divot. I find it helpful to mix up a small batch of epoxy and dilute it with denatured alcohol and paint on a thin coat making sure to coat the edges and rough areas. The thinned epoxy can better get into the tiny spaces without trapping bubbles. Then as another coat fill in the divot.

I have never worked with the epoxy you have so make sure you read the instruction (if there are any) on apply subsequent coats. It's more an issue with polyester resins but some are specifically designed as base layers and others specifically as topping layers with special additives that float to the surface to protect the resin while it cures. With some resins you need to remove that "waxy" film before applying other layers but some resins don't need it.

Also be mindful of the pot life for your epoxy. As it cures it generates heat. That heat speeds the curing making more heat and on and on. It's not a problem when it's spread out in a even layer and can quickly cool. As one big blob in your pot it can cure much faster than what the label says and if it starts to kick in the pot don't use it. It will not lay out well and can cause unevenness in your table top.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: