Finish flaking due to water. How to identify and repair?

Old 05-05-17, 11:42 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Finish flaking due to water. How to identify and repair?

I have a wood table that was outside when it rained. The table has a light colored finish, lighter than the wood itself. This finish is now flaking off of the wood. The flakes are parallel to the grain, so I suspect the wood grain may be raised also.

I thought this kind of finish was a pickled finish, but I read that a pickled wood is coated with a clear finish. In my case, the finish flaking off is colored exposing darker wood underneath.

What kind of finish would be colored and flake off like this? What methods can be used to repair it?

Also, the table has a strip of metal inserted between the top and sides. This metal strip is a gold color. It seems to have been finished buthl there are places where the metal has become exposed and has a green discoloration.

To clarify, the water damage to the wood finish happened in the past 16 hours. The discoloration of the metal existed previously. I have only owned the table for a week, so I don't have any previous history.

Old 05-05-17, 11:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

A pic or two would help us better understand what needs to be done but generally you'd sand it smooth and if the stain isn't hurt - just apply a fresh coat of poly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: