looking for ideas

Old 05-07-17, 08:28 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
looking for ideas

I have a need or should I say a use (not absolutely necessary) for cutting your typical paint stick (either/or the regular or larger size) in two length wise. Not a hard thing to do. In fact a tile knife does a nice job. However, I want to do this on a wholesale basis. I mean like twenty or thirty per week. Using a tile knife is not practical nor safe. The proper tool would be a band saw or a hobby size table saw, but I do not have access nor will I be able to get access to either of those in the future. I do have a full size radial arm saw, but that is extremely dangerous trying to cut this type of material at that size.

So the question is, how do I do this? I might possibly design a jig and fixture for the RAS, but that does seem practical. Others tools I do have are, jig saw, vibrating cutter, power drills, hand saws, knock off Dremel tool.

Any thoughts? BTW...I'm trying not to spend any real money on this project.

Old 05-07-17, 08:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Get a scrap piece of 1/2 or 3/4 plywood about 2 by 3 foot. lay your paint stick on plywood and set nails around edges 6 or 8 should be enough. Clamp plywood on radial saw bed cut your sticks in gig. Make sure nails are not in way of blade. Set blade to just cut into plywood. Mark saw table and you can move jig out and in as you need it. Put a stop block on end so you don't have flying sticks.

Old 05-07-17, 08:53 AM
Pugsi,

I tried a make shift jig as you described, but the saw blade picked up the pieces and shot them up into the blade housing and other places. Perhaps a top guard or housing on the jig might prevent the flying debris, but the cut pieces just don't seem stable enough to lay there after being cut. Admittedly I did not take the time or thought to make the jig as good as you described. Besides the RAS seems like a large overkill for this type of thing.

ooh...Do you think the nail heads will be sufficient enough to keep the cut pieces from dislodging after being cut? And do you think multiple pieces can be cut at one time?

Old 05-07-17, 09:02 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
You could wrap a stack of them with painters tape in a couple of places and even tape them down to the jig.

Another option would be to fasten your jig saw to a piece of plywood with the blade sticking through a hole, flop it upside down and fasten a guide to let you slide the stick past the blade. A lot safer IMO.

Old 05-07-17, 09:10 AM
fasten your jig saw to a piece of plywood with the blade sticking through a hole, flop it upside down and fasten a guide to let you slide the stick past the blade. A lot safer IMO.
Yea, I kind of like that idea! In fact I have one of those "vise" tables for holding large and non symmetric items. Sounds like a plane and I may try that.
Thanks.

Any one else with ideas?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: