Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need to repair this chair

Name:  IMG_1409.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  24.4 KBName:  IMG_1411.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  24.4 KB

What do I need (tools) and how do I do it? Please be very specific - because I've tried on two occasions to do this, (wood glue and bar clamps) and both times I was unable to get the spindle all the way into the hole, but was able to get it in far enough that it held for a while but now I'm back to square one. Thanking you all in advance for your help.

mbp

Old 06-04-17, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Well you had the right tools, just didnt quite make it. You will obviously need to get it ALL the way into the hole if you want the best repair. Its possible you might need to carve a bit of old glue out of the hole. I would use the right size drill bit and just turn it by hand in the hole to clean it up a little. Glue might be plugging the end of the hole, preventing the end from going in all the way.

You might also need to tap it a little as you clamp to help tighten it up.

You might also check each leg to see if one is loose.

Old 06-04-17, 05:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, you should be able to get the end back in the hole fully.
Apply your glue inside the hole with an artists brush if you're not already, it will hold better than applying glue to the spindle only.

Old 06-04-17, 06:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Clean hole out well and then put a light coat of epoxy glue. To much glue will stop you from getting spindle all the way in hole. Leave clamps on over night. Be sure to clean any glue off that squeezes out before it hardens.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: