Touching up spots on furniture table?

Old 09-10-18, 06:13 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Touching up spots on furniture table?

just want to touch up the spots and not repaint the whole thing. I put dark stain on a rag but it did nothing at all.

Also the goldish part is the top which a glass insert goes over top of but I think we're just going to do the nicks on the side as shown, so I guess just get oil based or latex paint and try and get as close of a match (maybe get a small can of black to tint if needed). I'm thinking oil based for some reason right?
and if I want to redo the gold on top I can lightly go over that with a mostly-dry brush of gold colored paint.
thanks

Attached Images    
Old 09-11-18, 02:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Ideally you;d sand those areas down and refinish. I have taken the pigments from the bottom of a stain can to 'paint' just the nicks although never on something with that much damage. You could do the same with paint.

Old 09-11-18, 08:14 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I guess it was waxed.
i took premixed minwax a rather dark color on a rag and it basically wiped off like it were sealed.

It actually looks like white paint is under the brown. The red I dunno what that is. I guess I will put a tiny bit of stripper on a rag and then see if it takes stain. There's also tiny black specs all over the paintjob as if a brush were flicked to create tiny drops but I'm not going to bother with all that.
So do not use oil/latex paint though whatever I do?

Old 09-12-18, 03:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You can use paint to touch up the areas but it will take an expert job to keep those spots from showing. If you sand down and paint just one section - it will look painted and different than the rest. Neither paint or stain will adhere well over wax.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: